Pennsylvania Tax Filing

Pennsylvania Flag

Filing Your Pennsylvania State Taxes

It is tax season again! Figuring out and filing your tax forms can be intimidating – but there is help. Here you will find answers, forms and more that will make your paperwork easier, faster and less stressful. The information below will help you determine your residency status, find the correct forms you need and give you other information you want to get started.

State income tax returns for 2014 are due April 15.

Comparing Your Options in Online Tax Software

H&R Block and TurboTax are the most prominent online tax software providers for those who do their own taxes. All are appropriate for many types of personal and business tax preparation. They differ in pricing and each has its own positives and negatives. So check them out, compare and read the reviews to pick the one that’s best for you.

H&R Block offers FREE Pennsylvania State tax filing services. Click on the provider to find out if you qualify.

Start E-File
Start E-File
  • Fast Refund
  • Pricing
  • Ease of Use
  • Accuracy
  • Phone Support
  • Local Support
  • FREE Audit Support
*Rotate your phone to landscape to see the full comparison.

Pennsylvania Tax Forms

What is My Residency Status?

There are four groups of people who need to file some sort of tax form in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania residents, part-year Pennsylvania residents, people who live in Pennsylvania but work in another state, people who live in another state and work in Pennsylvania and people who sold property in Pennsylvania that tax year.

Pennsylvania Residents

Not all Pennsylvania residents are required to file an income tax return using Form PA-40. To find out if you have to file a Pennsylvania resident tax return and all of the information you need to do fill out Form PA-40 correctly, you can download the PA-40 Instructions Booklet above.

Part-Year Residents

Pennsylvania taxes any and all income earned in or out of state if you were a resident as well as on all income earned in Pennsylvania regardless of residency status. Part-year Pennsylvania residents must file a state income tax return using Form PA-40 for any income earned while they were residents of Pennsylvania. You will also need to file any additional forms for the time in which you were not a resident. Refer to page 15 of the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Guide, which you can download above, for help on filing a part-year resident return. There is a whole section dedicated to nonresident tax returns.

Pennsylvania Residents Who Work Out of State

Pennsylvania residents working in any state are still required to file an income tax return with Pennsylvania and the state in which they work. If you want to make sure you don’t get taxed twice (dual taxation), you will need to fill out Schedule G and file it with your Pennsylvania resident state income tax return (Form PA-40) and you will be credited for any taxes paid to other states.

Work in Pennsylvania, Live Out of State

If you do not live in Pennsylvania, but you work there, you will be required to file a tax return for any income earned in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania considers wages and salaries from employment as taxable income. To file taxes on income earned in Pennsylvania, fill out Schedule C. For more information on how to file as a nonresident and how to fill out a Schedule C, see the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Guide which you can download above.

Any nonresidents who sold property in Pennsylvania are required to file taxes on any income they earned from that sale. To file a return on income from the sale of property, fill out a Schedule D. For more information see the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Guide which you can download above.